Friday, October 17, 2008

The bubble burst

As expected, the trend had to stop and it had to be today, the day I had my first session with my new mentor.

I got up nice and early, all refreshed and ready to go at 1pm. At 12:30, I was asked to put it back to 2:30. No problem at all, so I did a bit of yoga and got myself chilled and ready to go.

Half hour before the session, I had already been bashed about a bit but I don't let things like that get to me any more. Some pretty sick stuff that I could have done without before starting the session.

As for the session, I already knew that Manuel's style is to mainly watch and perhaps point out anything glaringly obvious. He then gets a good idea of you playing style and will use that to adjust and tinker with over time (that's how I understand it anyway). Nothing glaring was pointed out although I got the impression that I may have been overdoingit a bit with regard to position.

What tends to happen with me lately is that I pretty much disregard anything but premium hands in the blinds when facing a raise from anywhere but the button. Fold. If the raise has come from the button, I will rarely call with a marginal hand. It will be reraise or fold.

I was questioned on 2 occasions...

...once with AJ in the BB. Why did I fold it to a button raise. It was actually a cutoff raise, so I felt it was a little stronger than button and I explained I would be oop for the rest of the hand and wouldn't feel comfortable on anything but a JJJ flop! Manuel said a call might have been better.

... the other occasion was with ac2c to a 51% button raiser. I 3 bet and this guy with extremeley high 4 bet stats 4 bets almost as expected. I would actually have been tempted to push under normal circumstances and expect the button fold. But I let it go. Manuel said here that he would not have 3 bet, so I assumed he meant fold. He meant call.

So it seems I need to be a little less inventive from the blinds and think about calling a little more rather than the fold/raise which I will do with almost every marginal hand I get with quite a good success rate.

All in all, I felt pretty happy with the session with not too many 'wtf did you do that for' 's. The session ended $1,500 down which was pretty much due to some unfortunate hands and some rather daft plays before the session began.

Expecting a downturn in fortunes, I think I will probably give cash a miss this evening and look forward to the next session... but then again who knows!

Oct 17th -1,300

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home